Saturday, August 29, 2009

What's Her Angle?

Something very odd is going on - or not going on, to be more accurate. My mom has seemed to remove herself from my reproduction.

If you have been keeping up with my blog, you can understand why this is so eerie. See, my mom has no boundaries. We are very close so she really doesn't bother to take the time to think her intrusive questions are crossing a line. She speaks about my husband's sperm, inquires if we are bedding, asks when I think I will ovulate, asks me "how are you feeling?". And when I respond "fine" she says, "well what about your stomach" and walking into her trap I say, "my stomach doesn't hurt" and then she will deduce "so you haven't gotten your period yet?" I am not kidding, that was a real conversation. She is the Sherlock Holmes of my procreation.

But now, all is quiet on the overbearing front. She doesn't ask when we will start trying again. She'll ask how a doctor's appointment went or my HSG. She is very vested, but reserved. I did tell her I feel pressure from people knowing that I once I am cleared to try again, that the family will be waiting for a happy phone call from me and that is stressful. I just didn't expect her to take it her heart. Generally, she feels like these boundaries don't apply to her.

Lately, I have been wondering what would happen when I got pregnant. Would I blurt it out as soon as I heard her voice as is my typical M.O.? Or would I wait to confirm a heartbeat? She is in a Catch-22 that she doesn't even know she is in.

If I told her early that I was with child, she could either be cautious (which would make me think she thinks something would go wrong) or excited (which would me nervous if something did go wrong she would be disappointed again and sad for me). And I, in turn, am in a Catch-22. If I don't tell her right away, she will be pissed and likely hurt. Even if I waited 2 weeks for the first ultrasound, she would be upset. She would expect that I call her the second the line appears or as I am waiting the three minutes for the test to display results.

As my dad would say, these are good problems to have. I am sure I wouldn't be able to keep it in for ten seconds anyway, so this stream of maternal consciousness is probably moot.

No comments:

Post a Comment