Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Well that didn't go as planned.

Back from the doctor's office. She came in and looked at the incision and said it looks good.

I mustered up the nerve to confront her on the progesterone issue. She said, studies show that it doesn't do anything. And I said well I have friends that have had 3 miscarriages and then they take it and have healthy babies. She said, and they would have been fine without it. I said my friend was spotting for days and took it and now she is fine and she said and your friend would have been fine and the spotting would have gone away on its own.

I asked can't you budge on this, it makes me so nervous. She didn't budge. So then I mentioned the fertility doctor said people with luteal issues might need it and my LP has been bad since last year. She said I think it is good idea if you set up an appointment with her. She can look into the luteal phase issues.

A minute later she something about clomid. So I should, well should I just forgo trying on my own and go straight to clomid? She smiled and said, I think you need to speak to the fertility doctor. I asked who would be doing my next HSG and she said either one of us can.

I've been dumped. She wasn't pissy. She said if I had trouble getting an appointment call her and she would make a call to get me in right away. She told me what to do to get my file copied. And she was like, "alright my dear, I will see you in 4 weeks." Oh also I said who would be my doctor if I got pregnant (since I was being dumped) and she said the fertility doctor would monitor me for a while.

I set up the fertility appointment for next Thursday morning. I asked the doctor if I would be starting back at square one and she said now they will have your file.

I feel a bit defeated by this. It makes me think I can't do this on my own, that nobody thinks the fibroid was an issue at all and I have even more fertility problems than the mutant fibroid.

I feel like crying (which is out of character for me) and the Noah Wylie commercial with the endangered polar bear didn't help at all.

4 comments:

  1. I've been a lurker here for a few weeks now. My DH and I are on our own TTC adventure. So sorry you're having to go through this. Your doctor just sounds so...old school. I don't think your request sounds unreasonable at all. I can understand doctors being wary of patients who are always trying to diagnose themselves with the next new thing, but it frustrates me to no end when they won't respect patients who are just being their own advocates by being prepared with good questions and research. Sounds like you are doing all the right things. Hang in there. I'm rooting for a BFP for you soon!

    (BTW, I'm AlohaJoJo on FF.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Jo for the response. I actually have an update I am about to Post about. Guess my comments got to her and she contacted the fertility doctor herself.

    How long have you been TTC?
    -dana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dana,

    We've been TTC for about 15 months now. I actually have an appointment tomorrow with a nurse-run infertility clinic here in Saint Louis to talk about next steps. So far all of our tests have come out fine so our IF is still a mystery.

    Your last couple of updates were encouraging! Can't wait to hear what's next for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jo- how did you appointment go? Was this your first time at a fertility clinic?

    ReplyDelete