Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Friend-tastic

Last Friday I went to visit my friend in the hospital who had just delivered her first baby the day before. I walked in and congratulated her mother, whom I had only met once (at said friend's wedding). The first thing she said to me was, "I am glad you are feeling better."

Come again? Clearly she was talking about my miscarriages. At first I felt stung that my friend told her mom, but then realized I would have told my mom too. I would just expect that my mom would keep the knowledge to herself but be respectful of the situation when my friend came to visit my baby.

So fine, she told her mom. She then goes on to say that she is a big believer in what is meant to be will be and if I am not able to have kids, I will adopt and there are lots of kids out there to adopt, and added, "you'd be surprised".

I kind of smiled and made a diffusive joke, but I was offended. I have gotten pregnant twice and though I have miscarried twice, I know I can get pregnant and hopefully when this mutant fibroid is removed, keeping a baby won't be an issue. But I didn't get into it because to be honest, I was a bit shocked that we were even talking about this at all.

What's one of your more awkward encounters of reproductive kind?

1 comment:

  1. that's horrific, I hate situations like that where you are so stunned you cant think of an equally inappropriate comment to say to put them in their place. Clearly it was OK she told her mum, we all do that but mum saying that to you was wayy...out of line.

    ReplyDelete