Thursday, March 4, 2010

Protecting Marriage from Infertility

I know I have posted on this subject before, but in the last month, I have heard from several friends about how their marriage is taking a beating from TTC.

In all situations, the woman thinks she cares more than her husband. The truth is, she probably does, but that doesn't mean he doesn't want kids. One of my friends is going to start fertility treatments in the next 2 months and has a rainbow of emotions about it. Her husband isn't getting why she is so emotional about it.

In a couple of the situations, the husband is opposed to adoption. In one of these instances, they have gone through years of treatment and in another situation they haven't going through almost any treatments, but it is still a source of contention.

As someone who struggled to get pregnant, this makes complete sense to me. You want to know your options. Some options are easier to agree on, such as clomid, IUI, and IVF. Others require more reflection like surrogacy and adoption.

Before my husband and I even started trying, we agreed we would both be open to adoption. Knowing that we both wanted kids no matter what, was a relief to me, especially when things went south.

Despite being aligned, we weren't insulated from bickering because of trying to conceive troubles. When I think back, my overwhelming feeling was "he doesn't get it". He doesn't get why I am so upset. He doesn't get why I am so sensitive. He doesn't get why this latest set back seems so dire. At times it was infuriating. But what I didn't get at the time was that I was lucky. He never made me feel defective, even though the problems clearly laid in my court. He never made me feel like it was taking too long. He was of the mindset that it will happen when it happens. The only time he made a comment that all this was happening to him too, well it really upset me. And I did feel for a minute that I had failed him.

When I look back on the year and half we tried to conceive, especially after the first miscarriage, I do realize that we argued more than normal and I was at times resentful. Now we rarely argue and I haven't had the feeling once of he just doesn't get me.

Infertility is such a deeply sensitive and personal issue. So it seems natural we would expect our husbands to intrinsically know how to make it better. But really, what can they do besides besides making themselves available during ovulation, get testing if necessary, and letting you know that it will work out and one day you will have a child?

If your guy cried with you when you got another negative pregnancy test, is that really going to make you feel better? Personally, it would make me feel 100 times worse. In retrospect, I do think I lashed out at times at my husband, because he is my person, the one friend in the world that has to take what you dish out. I do think he could have been more sensitive to situations that would knowingly upset me. But theoretically, we were in the same boat, and those social situations with 20 pregnant people talking about their registries and pre-natal classes, didn't seem to phase him.

My advice, be explicit about what is upsetting you and what you need from you man. Have the mindset that this tension will pass. And know that a man's need to have a kid is often not nearly as strong as a woman's. That doesn't mean he doesn't want to have your children, it just isn't the only thing on his mind, like it seems to be for us.

1 comment:

  1. What a timely thing for you to post about. Thank you for letting me know how you see it now that you are on the other side. Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete