Monday, February 8, 2010

Allergic to the Doctor

I have learned a very important lesson over the last 2 years. Between trying to conceive and being pregnant, sometimes you need to forget what the doctor says and trust your own instincts.

In terms of TTC and my miscarriages, my doctor, once the mutant fibroid was found, didn't assume that was my problem and ran a million test. I absolutely appreciate her being thorough, but I felt in my gut the fibroid was problem. Since she would never definitively say so, I have been haunted throughout this pregnancy with doubt.

Next, the whole luteal phase defect which you guys are probably sick of hearing about from me. But I was convinced I had a problem and it wasn't an ovulation problem, it was a progesterone problem. My doctor thought I should be treated with clomid. I didn't want to accept that since I knew from my charts I ovulated just fine on my own. I then found a doctor that agreed to test me twice in my TWW, 6dpo like normal, and 12dpo when I was spotting. And I was right, it was a progesterone issue. Next month, I was pregnant, and the progesterone supplements helped me hold onto this baby.

The latest is this blood pressure issue that landed me in the hospital 3 weeks ago. It was high at the doctors, 140/80. The next week it was 140/100 and I was sent to labor and delivery to be monitored. It came down while there to a healthy level. The on-call doctor said it was probably white coat syndrome but come in the next week to get checked again. Last week it was 140/80. And they had me convinced the reason it was normal at the hospital was because I was lying down in the bed. At my last visit they said I should come in this week and if it is high again I will have to see my internist for medicine.

Without their recommendation, I ordered a blood pressure cuff online. I didn't like the idea that I would be walking around with high blood pressure for 5 weeks unchecked. If you have high blood pressure, your placenta might die off early, and your baby might not have the nutrients to make it full term, so you have to deliver early. Plus high blood pressure is more common in people that develop preeclampsia. I kept telling the doctors I always get white coat syndrome when I get checked at the doctors office but if I sit a while it will come down. This happened even before I was pregnant. I understand they need to worry about it, but I wasn't being heard.

My cuff arrived today. I seriously have taken my BP about 25 times and each time it has been well within normal range and more often then not, under 120/80, which is considered normal. The doctors had me so freaked that I wasn't sure if it was calibrated correctly. So when my husband came home, I took his blood pressure and then mine right after. His was in normal range and mine was lower than his. He just had a physical a couple weeks ago and had no issue, so now I believe it.

The point of all this is, sometimes you know yourself better than the doctors and need to be your own advocate. If you really believe you know what is going on with you, or why you have trouble getting pregnant, try to get your doctor to test your theory and if she refuses, find someone else. I fully believe I wouldn't have held onto this pregnancy, had I not advocated for myself for the odd request of a 12dpo progesterone test. I also would have very likely ended up on blood pressure medicine that I didn't need and could have caused my bp to crash.

4 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I am The editor/writer with physician.com. I really liked your site and i am interested in building a relationship with your site. We want to spread public awareness. I hope you can help me out. Your site is a very useful resource.

    Please email me back with your URl in subject line to take a step ahead and also to avoid spam.

    Thank you,
    Anna Huges
    editorial.physician@gmail.com
    www.physician.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What made you think you had a LP defect? Your LP was over 10 days right?
    The reason I am asking is that I've been having problems with spotting the last few cycles (twice as early as 7 DPO) and have been tested at 7 DPO for progesterone levels, which were around 11 and ok. The afternoon of that blood test, I started spotting again. I've got a 12/13 day LP but always spot up to 4 days before AF shows up.
    I am taking Red Raspberry Leave capsules and hope they'll help but I am still worrying about my progesterone levels ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was because of the spotting. I know people say 10 days is enough, but I just had a hunch about myself that it wasn't. And each month I spotted for several days. Could you insist on getting retested at 12 days? My RE did say it was rare to have a good progesterone and then for it to tank. But it is worth exploring because the first month after we figured this out and I went on progesterone, I got pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey - thanks for your comment. Can't believe it's over a month ago. Red Raspberry Leave didn't do the trick for me. As soon as my cycle was over, I called my doc again, had an U/S (everything was fine, lining ok, nothing that would cause the spotting), so I got the progesterone supplements as my doctor felt, too, that it must be a progesterone level. I am on supplements for the next few cycles before being referred to a RE. So far, it's good, so I am hoping that this may have been the issue and that we'll get pregnant soon.

    By the way, I can't believe that you are almost in your third trimester already.

    ReplyDelete