Monday, July 27, 2009

Abdominal Myomectomy: What to expect when having a fibroid removed

It's official, I am mutant fibroid free. Sadly my doctor said they found a small fibroid that they left in because it would have required many more incisions and they didn't think it would affect pregnancy.

Since I am a craver of information, I will walk you through the surgery, from the patient point of view and any tips I can offer.

I was told to arrive at 8 am. They asked me to fill out paperwork, pretty much about what would happen if I die or go brain dead. Once completed, they walked me back to a prep room. My husband had a huge meeting that couldn't get moved so my mom went with me and my mother in law was to meet her later. I had wanted to go to the prep room alone, but my mom had a conniption and clearly what I wanted didn't matter. Although later when I asked her to leave and she refused the nurse made her. I am just modest and didn't want my mom and mother-in-law seeing the goods as the prepped me.

They had me change into a gown and give a urine sample. Once that was complete I got in a bed, the one I would later be wheeled to surgery in. A nurse came by and took vitals. Then about 10 different people came by to introduce themselves. I was at Northwestern's Prentice Women's hospital. It is a teaching hospital, so there were a lot of people of all levels coming in.

The Anesthesiologist came in. I told him I get nauseous from anesthesia. They gave me something to combat that. He asked if I get motion sickness and since I do, they put a sea sick patch behind my ear. This was the best thing I could have done, because there is nothing worse then coming out of surgery and feeling sick from the anesthesia. Even if you don't know if you get nauseous, tell them you get motion sick.

They couldn't fine a vein to put the IV, this took them about 25 minutes and 2 people. I kicked my mom out and my mother-in-law, who had somehow found her way to the surgery prep room.

My doctor came in and someone marked my abdomen with a marker to note where the incisions would go.

Once the IV was in, they gave me something to take the edge off. Surgery was set to start at 9:30 am and was to last 2 hours. I would then be in recovery for 1-2 hours before being take to my room. I vaguely remember being wheeled in the hallway to the operating room to have the fibroid eradicated forever.

I started to come to in a hospital room with glass doors. I heard noise and people say, "Dana, Dana, we need you to lift up so we can slide this board underneath you and take some x-rays!" It was such a bizarre feeling. I couldn't stay awake and they kept saying my name. I remember trying to lift and it hurting a lot. I did what they asked and then feel back asleep. I did remember seeing a clock and it was after 1pm. I heard people talking in the hall and finally they came in to move me to my room.

I remember having an oxygen tube in my nose which remained for about 5 more hours. I got up to my room and they asked me to transfer to the other bed. They put the two beds side by side and I remember saying, "I can't" and then apologizing for my failed attempts.

My moms say I was really out of it and looked quite pale. The nurses were fantastic. They said my goal for the night was to sit up and dangle my feet in the bed. I had heard from my parents doctor friends that the quicker you walk the better you do. At night when they had me dangle my feet, I asked if I could walk. This was great, because the night nurse loved me for this. I think she is used to big babies who have to be goaded. After this, she treated me like gold.

Big tip- ask for a second gown. I didn't want to bare all. The nice nurse gave me the second gown and was able to put it on like a cape and snap it on (can't put it on normally because of the IV). This kept me amply covered until I put on real clothes on day two.

Walking wasn't so bad. I got light headed when I stood and definitely walked very slowly. The first night I went down the hall and back and was spent.

I have to say I slept horribly that night. They come in a lot to check on you, which is good. The next morning they took out my catheter. This wasn't painful at all. It felt similar to when the OB/gyn takes out the speculum in an exam. They weird thing was after, going to the bathroom felt odd, like I couldn't feel when I was done. The first time I went to the bathroom it was bloody. They weren't worried.

Speaking of such personal matters, I heard you bleed a lot after the surgery. I didn't find it was bad. It was never worse then the lightest day of your period. I had this spotting until 5 days post op and nothing since. They give you pads there which are the biggest things you have ever seen.

After I got the catheter taken out, I asked to put on my clothes. I brought comfy, stretchy, black sleep pants. They were perfect. They gave me underwear which I heard was essential. It is essentially boy short cut. Once I got home, I was able to wear my own stuff.

The second day was the worst day in terms of pain, but honestly not horrible. After that, getting out of bed got easier and easier. I ended up spending 4 days in the hospital (three nights) because I got a 101.5 fever one night. This is common with this surgery. They didn't find any infection. They said I was doing well for where I was in the recovery process.

On the third day, I showered myself and washed my hair. I didn't have restrictions, just don't rub the incision.

My own doctor stopped by each morning and the residents stopped by throughout the day (usually 2 times). Nurses were in at least every 4 hours. By the time I left, I was walking faster and even walked myself to the car.

Now, a week post surgery I am doing really well. My mom is staying with us for 5 more days. She has been cooking and cleaning. I have been going on 2-3 good walks a day. The pain is completely bearable, it doesn't hurt much to get out of bed, which had been the worst of it. The biggest change is I am so tired. I slept 10 hours last night and felt like I could sleep more.

One weird thing is how much my stomach has swelled. Since I have been on this fitness kick, I have been measuring my waist. When I got home I was 4 inches bigger than when I went into the hospital. I am now down to three. I feel a bit buddah-bellyish. Another interesting fact was that my fibroid was making my uterus the size of a 14-week pregnant uterus.

If you have questions, shoot me a comment.

13 comments:

  1. I am so nervous im having the surgery in july.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankes to Dr OSAZE, who cured me of fallopian tube blockage and fibroid. i married for over eight years wthout a child of my own. because of the problem with my fallopian tubbe and fibroid, until i came in conntact with Dr OSAZE's testimony and recommendations online, on how he has cured and healed so many people of the same illment, and i decided to contact him, and he administered his medicatons on me, and i became pregnant in two monnths. incasse you wannt to reach him for a similar problem, you can call or whatsap him on +2347089275769 or email: DROSAZEHERBAL@GMAIL.COM

      Delete
  2. me too. next month (august). i have been a wreck for weeks. thank you for your detailed story, dana. it helped. good luck anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad it helped. I like knowing everything I can. I am not sure if you are having it to try and have a baby. It worked for me. I am now pregnant with my second baby, due in 2.5 months. It never would have happened without the surgery. Good luck and really only the first three days are pretty painful. After that, it gets much better.

      Delete
  3. How long did it take for your buddah belly to go down?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing the details. I have an abdominal myomectomy scheduled in April and like you (like to know as much details and info as possible), I've been doing a lot of research and found yours to be so useful.

    May I ask how big your fibroid was?? I actually gave birth via C-section just last July 2012 (with pre and postpartum complications because of the large fibroid, 12cm), and I've heard the recovery is similar to the C-section. My C-section recovery took a long time and was painful, but that is probably because the fibroid is still in there (so I still look and feel like 4 months pregnant even now, almost 7 months after my C-section).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to say it was 10cm. I just remember the size of a grape fruit. I have since had two c sections and found the myo much worse. However my second section was barely painful so I think the repeat surgeries on to same area is the reason. I did ask the doctor after my first son was born why it hurt so much less and she said a section is a much shorter surgery. The move the organs around more in a myo. It still hurts the same amount of days. I just felt days two and three were worse with the myo. You are just going to have the restrictions of lifting your child for six weeks. I just had a baby in October and had the thing. It was tough but goes quickly.


    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just had my second abdominal myo a month ago, and I will be 40 in Nov. I really want o have a baby ASAP. Do you have any suggestions? I has 10 fibroids removed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your post is very helpful! I'm having my first abdominal myomectomy in 2 days and I can't wait to get these fibroids out! The main one causing all of the bleeding is 4cm, so not large but a nuisance. There are 2 more submucosal fibroids that could stay, but at this point I want everything out. This exact time last year is when I learned I had fibroids. I went to get my UTI removed and the nurse performing the ultrasound said very casually, "Oh you have a few fibroids". This was a first for me and ever since they've been a major pain. I had a laproscopic hysteroscopy in February of this year, and then more grew back only 4 months later. I learned my mom, aunt and grandmother all suffered from fibroids, but due to lack of knowledge in the medical community back in the 40's and even 80's, they all underwent hysterectomys. I feel very fortunate as I'm 36 and would love to have babies. My surgery is Thursday and I'm hoping to feel somewhat normal by next Tuesday. Is that too soon? Any other words of encouragement are much appreciated :):) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don’t think of anything else just contact priest eka and purchase some of his herbal medication and your depression will go away. This was my state of mind when my doctor told me that i will not be able to concieve due to the Fibroid that was rolling in my family life and when i decide to reach out to the priest, and the priest told me what to do in other to get the medication. Eventually I receive all the Herbal medications that cure my Fibroid and give me the chance to become a proud mother: Eka is a great spiritualist, He did it for me, you can contact Eka on (dreka14demons@gmail.com). If you are suffering from the following gynecology disease::
    1. Fibroid, Asthma, All STD, sinus infection
    2.High Blood Pressure (herbs to reduce your BP within 7days)
    3. Infection, regular body pains (yeast infection),urine tract infection.
    4. Blockage from the fallopian Tube
    5. Cyst from the ovaries
    6. Unpleasant smell from the virginal, virginal itching
    7. Irregular menstruation
    8. Weakness of the penis (not able to have sex with your partner or inability to satisfy your partner sexually)
    9. Watering sperm (low sperm count) not able to get woman pregnant.
    10. Infertility for easy Conception.......
    11. Skin diseases, Toilet infection and bad body odor…….Etc..
    Simply contact the spiritualist DrEka on (dreka14demons@gmail.com) to get his Herbal Medication to cure your disease and put yourself on a motherhood side of life..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great blog. Really interesting and keep posting it. An experienced team of physicians and medical staff in Motherhood Fertility Centre works closely with every patient to discuss your needs and concerns regarding your condition, treatment options and the myomectomy surgical process. For more details please visit our website. Myomectomy surgery in hyderabad

    ReplyDelete
  10. Who would have believed herbal medicine could cure FIBROID? I suffered fibroid for a long time and getting pregnant was a problem, I had pelvic pain, heavy menstrual bleeding even hospital could not help. Until I read about doctor Uduehi online, I contacted him for help and behold I was cured. I have gone for test severally at the hospital and was proved negative which means I am free from fibroid and I am also pregnant at the moment. You too can be cured if having such problem. His contact: uduehiherbalcare@gmail.com phone/WhatsaPP: +2347084878384

    ReplyDelete