Wednesday, December 16, 2009

It's Official!

I am with child. I am sorry for not coming forward sooner, we have just been so on edge given my history and didn't want it coming out to friends/co-workers before we were ready.

I am 13.5 weeks and doing great. I want to thank you for emails, comments, and support along the way. And please don't think I am abandoning those trying because I will never forget my fertility roots.

Here is the brief recap and then I will do more posts on specific things like what to expect at different points.

The day before we left for Italy I wanted to test because I didn't want to lug my monitor, thermometer, notebook for temps, and everything else needed to help me micromanage my fertility. I was 9dpo and used a Dollar Tree test it was a super faint positive (more to come on that) and I then took a First Response Early Result and it was also super faint. I went to the fertility doctor for blood work and got confirmation that day.

Knowing was both exciting and scary. I was very worried it would turn out be a chemical pregnancy. So I was really on edge until that Sunday, when my period was due. Also I was on progesterone, so on one hand it was comforting, on the other hand, I thought my body would keep the baby even if it wasn't going to make (not sure if that was true, but you know how my mind works). The best part about knowing was that we were alone and no one else knew. We spent our days walking the cities and brainstorming baby names.

About 4 days into the trip we decided to table the naming discussion because we cannot agree on anything. He thinks names I like are newfangled, not withstanding them being biblical. But I digress.

When I got back I had an ultrasound at 5 weeks and 5 days. I was worried it would be an empty sac, but I actually say the heartbeat. Tears started streaming down my face and in all honestly, it wasn't joy, it was sheer relief. I then went back every week, to the Re's office for an U/S until 8 weeks and 5 days. At that point she had me go off progesterone and released me to the regular OB.

I had to wait 4 more weeks until my next U/S which was last week where they do the first trimester screening (will explain more in a different post). I was such a wreck going this. I was petrified the baby would have been dead for weeks. Most people think this is irrational but this is exactly what happened to my cousin. Luckily all was good and the baby was kicking up a storm not to mention flipping and punching. It is unreal that this is all going on inside and I can't feel any of it.

So in addition to commenting on the latest wives tales about how to get pregnant, I will share what to expect when you do get pregnant.

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful news! I am in the process of testing out my trigger shot and it is excruciating. I actually WANT to see a completely negative test so that I know that the next positive is really a baby and not just leftovers from the shot but I'm getting lines everytime, faint as can be but definitely there. I am so happy to hear that your faint line was really a BFP! Looking forward to the rest of the posts with your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jo! How many DPO are you? I have heard with triggers you need to wait 14dpo. I am not a good waiter. Seriously, faint line isn't even the word for what mine was. I think I willed it to be positive. In certain light it was there and in other light it wasn't. Keep me posted. I will cross my fingers for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for you! I found your blog when we were TTC back in the summer. I got pregnant in September and am now 16 weeks but have still been following your blog. Congrats, can't wait to read about your pregnancy journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I probably O'ed on the 5th, so I'm 12DPO. I've been testing everyday and finally got a true negative today so by Sunday I should either have a BFP :-) or AF :-(. Your blog is great! I hope you keep documenting your pregnancy just as you have TTC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, haven't checked on here for a while and come back to several posts.

    Huge Congrats your way. I am so excited for you!

    And here I was feeling sorry for you for not getting your BFP in Italy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jo- so exciting, I thinking BFP.
    Bach- How have you been? Any update?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nope, no news on my end. Just started another 2 week wait and hope to find out New Year's Eve unless Aunt Flo shows up before then ...
    It's been over a year of trying now and 3 months since my M/C. Insurance doesn't cover fertitly treatment, so I am on my own for now.

    I am still so happy for you and hope I can follow suit soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh, we're out but adding a new drug to the combo this cycle so that's encouraging. Still celebrating with you, though! I'm finding that your blog is a great one to send friends to that haven't gone through the TTC adventure. You have a really clear way of explaining things. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete