Monday, October 26, 2009

Dodging Questions

If you are like me, and hopefully you aren't, 30 of your closest friends know you are trying. Now since people know (in my case I had surgery and multiple miscarriages, so it became pretty public), they feel they can constantly ask you if you are pregnant.

I think this needs a well-crafted response. It is easy when you aren't to say, "no" or something more self-pitying, like "yeah, right, like that would ever happen to me?". But you need to tread more carefully, because when you are in fact pregnant and not wanting to share, you feel like either you will have to fess up or lie. And then a part of me feels like a lie will doom the pregnancy.

Here are some ideas.
"That would be nice"
"From your lips"
"Did my mom put you up to this?"

What do you have in your arsenal?

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely feel the same way! I don't have any of my own ideas, but I have wondered what I would say if I ever had a miracle happed.

    And for now I'm gonna use "That would be nice"

    Thanks.

    I too have a pretty public situation in the last 2 years I have had 1 miscarriage and 2 myomectomies the last one being this August.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 myos? You poor thing! Do you still have really bad sensitivity in your lower abs? It is driving me crazy.

    Here's to hoping you can come up with some lame responses soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not so bad now; I like to consider myself a pro:) That's pretty much the only thing I got going for me, lol.

    Seeing everyone preggo is killing me and I'm at that age where everybody and their mother is getting pregnant, I'm 23.

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had an ab myo about 2.5 weeks ago. He removed 9 fibroids in total, all on the outside of my uterus and weighing 2 pounds. Everything went well and he said he did not cut much into the wall. We can TTC in 12 weeks from surgery. I'm still sore but moving around a lot better. Thanks so much for this blog, it's great!
    As far as comments to inquiring others. I don't say much until they get the hint that I just don't want to talk about it. I usually say "It's up to God" or "Hopefully someday". I heard somewhere that if someone asks you when or if you are having kids, you should respond by asking them how much money they made last year. But I can't bring myself to do it!
    Good luck to you all!

    ReplyDelete