Monday, November 2, 2009

Harmful or Helpful

As the saying goes, information is power. But is too much information going to drive you crazy? I feel like I have learned everything there is about conception, miscarriages, Luteal Phase Defect and more from members on sites like http://www.babycenter.com/.

At different times during this past year and a half, my husband has asked if it is really a good idea for me to spend so much time on these sites. I always defended them vehemently saying it isn't easy to get pregnant and it is helpful to learn as much as I can. Also, I never would have known what Luteal Phase Defect was and my OB sure didn't diagnose me, so now I am being treated for that.

But there are things I have learned that have added anxiety. Like what I refer to as symptom stalk. People will be 3 hours past ovulation and write they are nauseous and must be pregnant. This makes me batty because I might be 12dpo and feeling nothing. And the implantation spotting, don't get me started on how it seems everyone in the world has that pregnancy sign but me. I started to feel that either the people on that site are exponentially more in touch with their bodies than I am, are reading into nothing, or I don't have a shot of being pregnant.

So in these situations, I feel like this information overload gets the best of me.

After the miscarriages, I found I needed a break from it, and signed off for a couple months. Which tells me that not all interactions with these sites are positive.

What's your take on it? Have you ever needed a break from these social networking sites?

3 comments:

  1. When we were TTC, even though it was just for a couple months, I felt like I OD'd on BBC. Overanalysing every "symptom" was driving me nuts! And just so you know, I didn't have implantation spotting, or an implantation dip on my temp chart, I wasn't feeling "pulling and pinching" I didn't have anything that felt abnormal for PMS. I think those sites serve a good purpose for community and support, but it can become all-consuming very easily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am staying away from the Actively Trying board. I got so obsessed that I couldn't think anything else but TTC for a while. I took a break from babycenter and now just go back to the informative and supportive groups and not the ones that tell me on 2 days past ovulation that my symptoms sound "super" - aaargh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, Ill bite... I cant keep away from all of these sites as much as I try. I also have a LP defect & am/have tried so many many things mostly natural but last cycle we started Progesterone. Granted I don't think it was enough, so how many hours can I search about the dosage side effects, etc...Im on Cycle 8 of TTC & I never thought I would be here. I cant help but be hopeful each month so matter how I tell myself to just wait & see. I spend hours looking at symptoms, looking at people's charts, reading tips, techniques, etc... I clearly have lost my mind.

    ReplyDelete