Monday, June 21, 2010

It's Out of Hand...Literally

Another fun adventure at the doctor's office.  I want to start with a piece of advice- always try to get the first appointment of the day.  Since I am in my 40th week, I couldn't book my appointment much ahead of time and ended up with an 11:00 ultrasound and an 11:45 doctor's appointment.  I had to wait a lot longer than that because they got backed up.

I started off with the ultrasound.  He looked good, moving well.  My fluid is dropping (a good thing since I had a lot) and was at 19.5.  She did the weight estimate and are you sitting for this?  They think he weighs 9 lbs 1 oz.  That's like a toddler.  If I don't deliver until next week, he could be 9.5 pounds. He put on 1lb 7oz in the last 13 days.

I then when in to see the doctor.  I asked her to sweep my membranes.  She cautioned me that normally it doesn't work unless you are doing several days in a row, but she would try.  Well she begins the exam and says because I haven't dropped at all, she can't reach far enough to do the sweep.  She said I am still 2 cm for the 3rd week in a row and maybe if I am lucky 50% effaced but it is hard to tell because I am so high.

My blood pressure was a bit elevated but she wasn't concerned.  It could have been because I just found out I am going to birth a cute little turkey.  She said she isn't too concerned about the size now, we don't have to talk c-section yet.  She doesn't think he will grow much in the next week until my induction. 

Next steps, I go in Thursday for another NST (non-stress test) and a doctor exam.  They will re-evaluate if they shoud move up my induction.  Right now, I am scheduled to get to the hospital at 12:30am, early Monday morning of next week.

I really feel like it is never going to happen on its own.  I think because the fluid is still pretty high, he is pretty comfortable and happy floating around in there.

She said I could go any time if my water breaks, adding being late and the weather were on my side.  She added if they induced me now, when he clearly isn't ready, my chances of a c-section dramatically goes up.

2 comments:

  1. Best of luck! I think you will totally go naturally. You just wait... I am sure it feels like he will never happen on his own, but it will happen. Next time you post, it probably will be inclusive of baby pics! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete