Tuesday, June 22, 2010

At Peace

I have made peace with the fact that I will likely see my 41st week mark come and go this Saturday.  One of my biggest fears of labor was being in excruciating pain and being sent home from the hospital or told I can't come in yet.  If I am induced, I won't have that issue.  I will have all the blood work done ahead of time so when I want the epidural, I can get it.  I won't have to be in the tiny, dingy triage room, there is a nice delivery room waiting for me.

Speaking of epidurals, this has been my birth plan since day one.  I was speaking to a friend of mine whose wife had a baby in May.  She went naturally because they were concerned the epidural would cause Autism, which I had never heard.  He asked if I was going natural and I said, "Oh, no, I want the drugs." And he asked, "Well you aren't even going to try to see if you can do it on your own?"

I was a bit shocked because he isn't a Birkenstock footed, hemp necklace wearing type of guy.  Not to say at all that people that go sans drugs are hippies, it just seemed so out of character for him. And let's not forget he is a guy.  It isn't like his wife who powered through natural labor is saying this to me.

So I said, "All my friends say they are miserable and then they get an epidural and everything changes."  So he pushes, "Don't you think you could be stronger than your friends?"

And I said, "No".  Wouldn't that be a clear example of hubris if I thought I was stronger and braver than my friends?  And everyone knows hubris is a fatal flaw.

So we won't see eye to eye on this one.  I see on the social networking sites that there are tons and tons of people who go without drugs and really look down on people who get epidurals. I even watched the Ricki Lake documentary, "The Business of Being Born" about the process of home birthing naturally with a midwife and that didn't sway me a bit.  My doctor said 98% of the babies they deliver use epidurals.  She said even people who think they will go natural switch during labor.  Personally, I don't want to have to be in pain if I don't have to, especially since you have your mental faculties about you.  To each his own.  I just can't wait to meet the blessed anesthesiologist.

3 comments:

  1. When I was in labor with my son and got my epidural, I looked at my nurse and said, "Women who don't get an epidural aren't right." (Right as in crazy). She said, "I didn't have an epidural." I said, "That's because you're not right." I stand by my comment, lol. Getting an epidural was the best decision I made during labor. I have no regrets, and I will ask for an epidural with any future pregnancies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This guy sounds like he needs to mind his own business!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do what you feel is best. Since you are getting induced the pain will come quicker and more intense than a normal delivery. I had 2 late babies both induced and no epidurals! Both labors lasted longer than 40 hours and I would do it again. To each their own. You have to do what make you comfortable. You wants what's best for you and the baby.

    The nurse's that were attending me also said they never had a woman sleep through labor. LOL I told them to wake me up when it was time to push! (First child) And the second labor I was running my mouth talking to the nurse and doctor when my daughter crowned! (Second child)

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete