Thursday, June 24, 2010

Bump Watch 2010, but Maybe will Go to 2011

Seeing as my mom was in town, she was insistent on coming to the doctor with me.  I don't like people going to the doctor with me.  Not my mom, not my husband, but she doesn't care.

First they hook me up to the non-stress test.  At first he wasn't very active but he finally woke up and I thought everything looked good.  The doctor came in and she said there was one low heart rate and she wanted me to go to the hospital to be monitored after the appointment.  I thought it was overkill.  I told her, even though my blood pressure was 120/80 at the office, it had been higher at home the last couple of days but never more than 133/82, which is still in the safe range.  She said even though I didn't have protein in my urine, this was more reason to send me to the hospital for a full pre-eclamptic work up. 

She did my exam and I was still 2 cm, hadn't dropped, and hadn't dilated more.  I did have my bloody show during the exam.  I have read that labor is usually with 48 hours of the show but she said not necessarily.  She then sent me to get an ultrasound to check my fluid.  It came back at 16, so it dropped to a much more normal level.  I met with her after and she said that basically she was looking for something to induce me today.

On the walk over to the hospital, I ran into my fertility doctor whom I love.  We talked for a couple minutes and am thrilled she was staying in Chicago.  She was a fellow and not sure if she would get the full time gig.  She is so sweet, gave me a hug, and told me she had recently asked my OB about me.  I thought maybe I am having this baby today because it would be full circle seeing her on the day I had him.

We get to the hospital and I get hooked up to the machine in triage.  After 1.5 hours, everything came back normal, he was more active than I have ever felt him.  And I had 5 contractions while I was there.  The nurse said unfortunately they weren't regular and being past due, I should be having contractions.  Again she said they wouldn't induce because it increases the likelihood of a c-section.

I asked the OB about the induction process.  She wants me to start off with pitocin and once it gets going and I am uncomfortable, I can get the epidural.  They will break my water, but they need him to drop before they can break the water because to avoid a prolapsed cord which is very serious.  She said since I am going in at 12:30am, she thinks that I will have the baby late that afternoon or during the evening.

All in all no changes since last time, just a waste of a day, except I did get a really cute 3-D ultrasound pic.

And the bump watch continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment