Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Old Scars Run Deep

I get asked a lot if now that I am pregnant, do the miscarriages still sting. There isn't a simple answer to this question.

In some ways, the majority of pain, or really hypersensitivity has passed in relation to my own situation. I believe the baby I am carrying now is the baby I was meant to raise.

On the other hand, certain aspects of going through the ordeal has stayed, and it isn't always about me.

For instance, this past weekend we were at a party and I saw a woman there who we have seen socially for years. I have known, from both her and others that they are having a hell of a time getting and staying pregnant. She told me before I was even trying that they were having problems.

Well she already knew I was pregnant, but at the party, another couple announced their pregnancy. She was so nice to both of us and had a big smile. But I know that smile. You are happy for these other people, but just wish you could join the team. It reminded me of how I would try to explain to my husband why these situations were hard. He never really got it and assumed I was being jealous and not happy for my friends. It wasn't that at all. I said it was like you tried out for varsity football and made the team and all your friends were on the team. And one day the coach cuts you from the team, with no warning and no reason. But every time you see your old teammates, they are wearing their jerseys and talking about practice or the big game. You just feel left out and wronged because you deserve to be on the team. People who want to be pregnant just want to be on the team and have incessant conversations about which bottles are the best and the merits of a $700 stroller.

So back to the party, I just felt awful and found myself saying, it was a really long road to get here and if it could happen to me it could happen to anyone. I was kind of a blubbering mess which must have only made things more awkward. But it showed me that I have such a deep compassion for anyone going through this. I don't want anyone to feel how I felt.

Another area that sticks with me is a feeling that the bottom could always fall out from under me. I know pregnancy is scary for anyone, but I don't think it is the same for someone who has gone through a loss. I feel there is a huge majority of people that get pregnant and just assume they will carry a healthy baby to term. Of course they might get nervous before a big test, but it isn't the same. For me, I crave constant reassurance- like pregnancy symptoms, ultrasounds, hearing the heart beat. I still get nervous I will see blood when I go to the bathroom. I know that's not normal.

I have also found that I am still a bit petty about people that have been married for 7 seconds and fall pregnant. Unless you are of "advanced maternal age" I don't get it and it offends me on behalf of all of those trying to get pregnant for eons.

After I got out of the first trimester, I have felt much more at ease. The geneticist at my 12.5 week NT screening said at that point only 3% of pregnancies end in miscarriage. This was a comforting stat. And it improves every week.

Looking at all these fertility experiences in aggregate, I am okay with it all. Quickly, living for the egg on my Clear Blue Easy Fertility Monitor, waiting for the coveted Fertility Friend crosshairs, and making it to test day at the end of my TWW seems very far away. But I will never forget what it was like. I think while you are in the thick of fertility problems, you only partially believe it will happen for me. My friends and family would tell me all the time that it will happen. I just wish I could have truly believed it and I wish even more that people who read this will believe it for themselves.

7 comments:

  1. I stumbled across your blog this week and think you have a very eloquent and compassionate tone when speaking about such a heart-wrenching topic. My first pregnancy miscarried two weeks ago at 8 weeks after TTC for over a year. My husband and I are heartbroken. I feel everything you just described... I am that girl who smiles and celebrates with friends and co-workers who announce their pregnancy, while guilting myself for being selfish for wanting to so badly be in their shoes. Thank you for your blog; I will continue to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you...we have recently experienced 2 losses since TTC and I am struggling. I want so badly to believe that it will eventually happen for me. After reading your post, I am going to hold that belief tighter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the sweet comments. It means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read your blog in months and just saw this post. Congrats!!! I need to go back and see when and how it all happened. It is because of your blog that I started taking baby aspirin which has helped and also insisted that my gyno give me progesterone which has also helped a ton although, of course, I get all the horrid side effects. Still not PG but I'm not giving up yet, and this post gives me even more hope. Hubby and I are going on a baby moon in 2 weeks, right around ovulation so I am hoping beyond anything that it happens for us so that I don't have to go back to IVF but either way I'm determined that this is our year. It's my turn to join and stay on the team dammit! :). Congrats again, you really are an inspiration and help so many more than just me I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for coming back! Thank you for you sweet post. We found out we were having a baby the day before our Babymoon. I really hope it happens for you this month and the progesterone absolutely helped me and I truly believe helped me hold on to this pregnancy. Keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found your blog when I was looking for more info on progesterone suppositories and the baby aspirin--which I'm taking at 7 weeks and 4 days pg. We have a wonderful 2 year old, but have lost the last two pregnancies and I know exactly what you meant about expecting to see blood every time you go to the bathroom. That's me too. Thanks for sharing and normalizing things! I'm hoping and praying to get to that magical 12 week mark...

    ReplyDelete