Friday, January 8, 2010

Moms Into Fitness First Trimester: DVD Review

I am very excited to share this review because I found a DVD series that I think is great. I think Moms Into Fitness Pregnancy First Trimester is a solid workout. It is the first in 4 part DVD collection.

The host is Lindsay Brin, who actually was part of a big study on prenatal exercise. If you watch the extra features on the DVD, you can hear her talk about the findings and recommendations.

What you need:
yoga mat/towel

hand weights (she uses 2 sets:5 pounds and 8 pounds; the person doing modified exercises uses 3 and 5 pound weights, I just just 5 pound weights for all exercise)

What you get:

The DVD features a 30-minute aerobic section and a separate 30-minute yoga practice

What it is like:

I am not sure if it is being pregnant (and I pray it is), but at times I felt winded and I know 3 months ago, it wouldn't have phased me too much. The aerobics remind me a lot of a step class without the step (grapevines, knee-repeaters). But she sprinkles in some long sets of muscle work. We are talking squats, lunges, triceps, biceps, shoulders and more. So you will do some aerobic exercises and then some muscle conditioning. She finishes with a core workout including plank poses, crunches, downward dog and of course, kegels (which I still haven't mastered out of the bathroom since I am worried I am going to mess up and have an accident. How's that for full disclosure?).

The yoga section is good. It isn't a cake walk but you do end feeling refreshed.

Why I like it:

First off, I like Lindsay. She isn't pregnant, but she does have 2 women who are in the advertised trimester, in this case, the first. She seems really friendly and informed. Second, I was treating myself with kid gloves before this video. I didn't think I could do plank, crunches, and some of these weight exercises. It makes me feel confident to knowing she was part of this study and is recommending these exercise.

The videos are trimester specific. So she is aware of different concerns/pregnancy symptoms. For instance, in the first trimester, you are more tired and fatigued, so she discusses that. She alludes to the fact that in the second trimester, she doesn't do any exercises that has you flat on your back.

I also feel like I have accomplished something when I do the Moms Into Fitness Pregnancy First Trimester workout. It certainly isn't the hardest workout I have ever done, but for pregnancy, I think it taxes me an appropriate amount. It moves quickly, when you are sick of aerobic, you move to weights and when you feel tired, you are moving back to aerobics.

I personally bought a 4-pack from Amazon which has one video for each of the three trimesters, plus a Moms into Fitness Bootcamp DVD for post-delivery. Here is the link if you are interested and I have also included the link to just the 1st trimester DVD.

1 comment:

  1. A nice blog here. Helping people who desire a child is a good manner. We know that some women says that it is difficult to get pregnant. Everyone can conceive a child if the put a good effort on it.

    ReplyDelete