Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Marking his Territory

We just came from the first pediatric visit. Evan marked the occasion by peeing all over the scale.  Guess he learned at an early age, it is no fun being weighed.  He also spit up over the examination table.

The good news, he gained back a lot of the weight he lost after birth.  Also, the heart murmur that was detected in the hospital wasn't heard.  The bad news is she thinks he might have something called tethered chord.  His back isn't straight when it connects to sacrum.  It could be nothing or it could be serious.  We now have to go to get an ultrasound in two days.  If that goes well, we are done.  If it doesn't, we wait a couple months and do an MRI when he is old enough to be sedated.  And if that shows he does have a tethered chord, he would need surgery.  

I am keeping it together better than  I did over the heart murmur and forcing myself to stay off webmd.  It is just so awful to think something could be wrong with him.  I have been a mess over his circumcision, I can't imagine him going through surgery.

The doctor did say the practice sends about 25 kids a month for the ultrasound and only 1 to 2 have the surgery every year.  I am trying not to get ahead of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment