Sunday, May 2, 2010

Shell Shocked

Yesterday we attended the 8 hour birthing class called "Great Expectations". It honestly felt like a rite of passage.  Since pretty much everyone I know has a baby, I thought I knew what the class was all about.

Well, I was not prepared.  It left me wanting a c-section. I am only half kidding.  They showed several child births and all of them were natural.  No epidurals in the bunch.  The funniest part was not one person in my class was planning on going sans drugs.  Questions included, "At what point would I get the epidural?", "If I am having contractions seven minutes apart but they are horribly painful, can I come in for an epidural or will  I be sent home?".

My husband made noises like he was being sickened and averted his eyes during the crowning and delivery.  I cannot blame him.  After that scene, one expectant father inquired, "Is there anything you can give the dads so they don't pass out?"  The nurse leading the class looked at him in a judging way and answered, "a chair,".

The class and hospital tour just made everything much more real.  I have 7 weeks left until my due date.  In some ways, I feel like I have been pregnant forever but in other ways, I can't believe there is an end in sight.

2 comments:

  1. Great! This is not what those classes should be about. They should show you how wonderful childbirth is and what options you have. It should provide you with options if you want to go unmedicated and let you know when and how to ask for an epidural etc.

    You should be well informed and not scared.

    I am sorry you did not get good use out of this class.

    Just remember, every body is different. What you saw on the videos will not be what you will experience.

    Same goes with reports from friends. You will have your unique experience. Having the right information about your options, will help you through it.

    Can't wait to hear your birth story, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love continuing to read your blog! I have posted a couple of comments in the past as Anonymous, and want to let you know how much I appreciate following your story. You inspired me to finally create a blog of my own: check it out if you are interested: http://littleonetocallourown.blogspot.com/
    Thanks for continuing to update your story - best of luck!

    ReplyDelete