Monday, October 11, 2010

Baby Boom

All of you trying to get pregnant should come hang out with me because it seems almost everyone I am friends with has fallen pregnant.  I am half kidding, but I do have about 7 pregnant friends now and one that I  suspect is pregnant.  And no joke, for all but 2 of them, it happened the first time out of the gate.

Now at this point, Evan is 3.5 months and the true light of my life.  I am completely fine with everything I have been through because if it hadn't happened, he wouldn't be here and it would be some other kid.  But I still deeply feel the pain of a couple of  my friends that have been trying for years.  And it isn't fair that it can be so hard for some, especially people you know would make fantastic parents.

A couple weeks ago, we were hanging out with a group a friends and another one of the couples announced their pregnancy, adding the third pregnancy to our little group of couple friends.  A little while after the announcement I was sitting and three of the guys were talking about how people act like it is so hard to get pregnant, but it was so easy.  The other two agreed saying it happened their first time and the other confessed it happened for them without really trying.

Herein lies this issue with family planning.  You have no idea if it is going to take 1 month or 2 years.  Even now, I have identified an ideal three month window to conceive a second kid (yes, we all know I am a planner), but what a joke that is. There is no guarantee we would be able to have another baby and particularly, one conceived in my perfectly packaged three month window to optimize the children's age differences and my delivering maternal age.  You would think I could be breezy trying for a second, but clearly, that isn't in my cards.

2 comments: